Thursday, October 02, 2008

Scouts and Cuts

Well, we are looking for an 11-year old scout leader. It is a hard bill to fit. We only have a few boys, but they are so young! I taught them last night, the primary presidency is switching off until we get someone permanent. I almost went crazy. I deal with two kids under three all day, every day and I am pregnant, but I almost couldn't handle the three boys. Part of it was that one of them is baby crazy and I had to bring the kids, but I still was very glad to get in the car. I hope we get a special person to help us before I have to do it again.
Later that night while we were waiting for Neko to finish his stuff, Ragno and May Lynn were playing in the gym with balls. It was really cute, Ragno would throw the ball and May Lynn would chase after him and sometimes got it! But poor May fell down and started bleeding. It wasn't a big deal, just a little cut and she stopped crying very quickly. But late this morning I noticed her mouth was a little funny. The piece of skin that connects the upper gums to the lip was cut. So I just called the pediatrician to see if I should take her to the dentist or bring her in. They said take her to the ER because they have the equipment to fix it or refer us to her dentist. It hasn't bothered her. I hope it's nothing too serious, I haven't had any bad feelings or anything, so I think it will be OK. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Neko keeps telling me not to worry, it happened to him a few times, but it still kinda bothers me.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Dear Niece Amy,
Probably not to fear. sometimes I cut that attachment on purpose. It certainly is not uncommon and normally is inconsequential, not affecting anything(muscle, growth,etc.) However, I would watch the gums and the teeth around the area for any swelling, increasing inflamation, or darkening teeth, that doesn't clear up or just develops down the road. Just in case the teeth and bone got bumped too hard. You can always email a picture if you want. Love Uncle Dr. Sam.

Anny said...

Honestly I think this has happened to 4 out of 5 of my kids. There is not much they can do for the mouth. I've been to the ER a few times just to come home with a "sorry, there is nothing we can do, it will heal itself - here is your $500 bill". It is up to you whether or not you take her in, but from the information you gave, I think it is pretty common and not a big deal. Good luck with her and the 11 year old scouts. Zack is the only 11 year old in our ward so they called Jim to be his leader.

Laura said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope she is doing fine. When Kaden was 2 she was standing on a chair and it tipped backwards. She went right to the floor. Her tooth went all the way through her lip and it was gushing blood. Of course we took her to the ER and just like everyone else all they did was put a butterfly band-aid on it and said it would heal on its own. But when its your first time dealing with something like that sometimes you don't know what to do.

Kass said...

Yep, we have a story too. Bree's fall out the truck did the same thing and the attachment was cut. It hasn't seemed to be a big deal, just looks a little freaky.

MEANDERINGS OF JANICE said...

This is probably one of many incidents in the growing up years of your children. Hang in there, and go by your feelings. They are such cute children. Sam knows what he is talking about. He is a great dentist. Love, Grandma