Monday, September 22, 2008

Ragno and May Lynn

I always hoped to be the kind of parent that never yelled. I wanted the saying "A soft word turneth away wrath" to be me. I knew I wouldn't be perfect, but those few times I messed up would really be important and the kids would understand that. I am not that kind of parent. I lose my temper easily. I try to count to ten, I get to about five. I try to take five deep breaths to calm down before I say anything, I might take one. Sometimes I try to just leave the room, the kids follow me.
I know I am not perfect. I know they are little and are supposed to drive you crazy. But I don't want them to drive me crazy forever.
Ragno has started to put on all his favorite shirts all at the same time. He can have as many as seven, and he refuses to take any off until bedtime or bathtime. He is potty trained, but he wears pull-ups at night. Tonight he tried to put on five pull-ups, I think he could have done it if we hadn't caught him. I know it's just a phase, but it's so hot still. And he loves to jump on the trampoline, but he also loves to jump on May Lynn on the trampoline. Ragno is surely a challenge, I love him, but my goodness.
May Lynn is worse in some ways. She will deliberatly take Ragno's toys and run away with them. She hasn't really started saying real words yet, so when she wants something she yells. Or just trys to get it herself. Whenever I am at the computer she pulls on my arm and scratches and screams and crys until I pry her away and put her in bed to calm down. Now I can't work unless she's in bed.
My children are generally good kids. They have so many good points, like Ragno loves May Lynn so much. He will do anything for her, get her blanket out of her crib, share his cookies, help her up when she falls, and hug her when she cries. He also is very polite, he says please and thank you, you're welcome and even no, thank you. He is independent, he will play by himself for hours and be just fine. One day he just decided it was time to be potty trained and he did it. If he hurts you he will give you a hug and kiss and say sorry mommy, sorry.
May Lynn loves to read. You can't sit down anywhere in the house and a second later she will bring you a book or two to read. She waves and blows kisses to anybody. When she sees her family she gets so excited and runs toward them with arms up and a big smile. She loves to play Duck Duck Goose, she has to touch everybody's head and say Duck, then she runs away. She likes to find everyone's nose/ears/eyes/head/mouth. She plays the wheels on the bus and puts her little finger to her mouth for the mommy on the bus says sshhh. She loves to eat Pringles, she carries around a can, and she shares with the dogs.
So while I may not be the perfect mom....my kids are not the perfect offspring. And that's okay by me. I am grateful the Lord saw it fit for me to be blessed with such vibrant, outgoing, individual spirits, and I can only pray that I will help them grow to be the strong people they can be.

4 comments:

Becca said...

I know it is hard with two young children, and prego with another. There are always the good times along with the crazy times and feeling unworthy to be a mom. I've always tried to remember the good times along with knowing that Heavenly Father trusted them with me. My kids are a little "energetic" too. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anny said...

Sounds very familiar Amy! I'm glad you remembered the things that you love about Ragno and May Lynn too. That is what gets me through! Did I ever mention, that Blake started getting Brooklyn out of bed every morning at 6:30 a.m! She is sound asleep, come on buddy! He also took a glue stick tube (the whole tube) to one of my walls and a permanent marker to another. I also put Brooklyn in her crib when there is nothing else I can do for her and she seems to need it. You are a great mom, keep up the good work.

Kass said...

Amy, you are doing great & I love your open thoughts about motherhood. It helps all of us feel "normal" because it's true that we all feel that way every once in a while. There is no one way to be the perfect mom & for sure, no matter what it may seem like-there are no perfect kids. One thing I know is that we are the perfect match as moms for our children. That is no coincidence. :)

MEANDERINGS OF JANICE said...

Sorry to be so late in commenting but I know that you have good mothering skills and will be fine, just enjoy them in each stage as much as you can because they grow so fast. Love You! Grandma