Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cats

I know not everyone is a fan of cats. I am a liker of cats. I don't mind them, but I don't really go after them or care. That being said...I hate cats. Neko and I have always had a cat. I had one that I brought from home and Neko adopted him, I really liked him. Then we found another one and couldn't find it's owner. We thought it was a girl, and an employee at Petsmart told us this. We found out later it was a boy. Anyway, when we moved to NC we had a litter of four kittens at our doorstep one day. We moved to the country and it wasn't a big deal because they just stayed outside. Then they multiplied. To be fair a few of them also died/got killed over two years, so we generally had the same amount. But we have been meaning to get them fixed for a long time. Have you ever looked into getting an animal fixed? It is expensive!! Most vet's are $80+ for males and $100+ for females. For a society that wants a smaller pet population they sure aren't doing anything to keep the cost down for us normal people. Anyway, we found this clinic that only charges $35 for males and $45 for females. Heck yeah!! So as of right now we have eleven cats that we feed. Most of them are fixed now. We have been taking them in two or three a week.

Now we come to this morning. Drop off at the clinic is 7-8 am, so we need to be up at 6am. We had an appointment for a female that has been pulling a disappearing act every time we try to take her in. She did it again, so we decide to take two kittens that are living in the bathroom to get used to people. They still don't allow anyone to touch them. I am the only one brave enough to catch them, so I don my leather gloves and the carrier. There is a black one and a fluffy grey one. I go after the grey one first. I grab it and it bites and claws, but I manage to get it into the crate. I can feel the teeth through the gloves, but it doesn't hurt. Like an idiot I had the crate on the tile floor and it slides around and the cat escapes. So now I go after the black one, I get it pretty easily since I grab it's back legs just as it goes through a hole in a drawer, and I just put it's front into the carrier and lock it. Neko helps me by holding the crate for the grey one. That devil runs all around the bathroom, even climbing up the wall at one point. When I grab it, I am NOT letting go. It bites me again, but this time I feel it, it hurts. I put it in the crate and it just hold on for a while biting my hand. when it finally let go I lock the crate and look at my hand, I have several puntures and it's puffy and bleeding. We turn off the bathroom light and walk out. Then I trip over the dog and hit my head on the door. That was as close to cussing as I have ever come.

Neko says the stupid fluffy cat's name is Teeth. I think we should call it Satan. Apparently the nurse who put them back in the crate had just as hard a time as I did, because her hands were all bloody, too. So, like I said, I hate cats. Most of the time. There is another one that is so cute.

I still can't post pictures. Sorry this was so long!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, I can imagine every move you were making trying to put these cats in the create. I have a big smile on my face. I'm sorry you got a bloody hand though. Hope the cat doesn't have rabies. Can cats have rabies? I can't believe you have 11 cats. Sam is very allergic to cats, so we are not likers of cats.

spider_webbs said...

Most of the cats are outside and I never see them. We only keep one in the house, and a few that come in and out. I don't mind them too much, they keep the flies under control.

Laura said...

You are brave! I know I wouldn't be trying to catch cats. I hate cats and Troy is allergic too! I hope your hand didn't get too messed up. Good Luck with baby #3. I think that's right.

Anny said...

Oh Amy! I'm so sorry. I'm with the rest of the fam, I'm not a big fan of cats either or any pets. We tried beta fish, (oh yeah, thanks to you!), a gerbil, and hermit crabs. Needless to say, we are petless now. We do not have very much luck! I'm sure your kids loved the baby kittens though.

kimberly said...

hi amy. sorry about the cats. i hate cats so i would not want to deal with them. hope everything is going well.